Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Brilliant!

Ok maybe I am bias, but Tanner came home from school today and wanted to play PBS kids online. He loves to learn and there is so much on that website. Anyway, after he finished with that he sat down and started "looking" at some books. I was unloading the dishwasher when he asked me to read a book to him. I was almost finished so I told him I would as soon as I was done. I went and sat down on the couch by him, and he had already started "READING" another book. (note that was not even 90 sec after he asked me to do it)

I know he is in Kindergarten, but his teacher told us at parent teacher conference that he is one of few ready to read in his class. We were glad to know that, but today he proved he is reading!!!! He did not choose a small book to read either. He picked Dr. Seuss's "Are You My Mother?". It is 63 pages long and he read more than 80% of it without my help at all. I was shocked and pleased and confused. I could not believe the emotions I had. I am so happy he is excited to read, and I don't have to push him. Jeremy got home and was able to listen to him. We both laughed and I got teary as I listened to him read his first real book.

Many of you know I can be kinda animated sometimes. When I read to my kids I usually put feeling and exclamation in, and sometimes dramatic effects to get their attention. He started being dramatic toward the end of the book. He was exclaiming the sentences when he realized they should be. It was wonderful and scary. My babies are growing TOOOOOO fast! I know I was not reading like that at age 5!

I am so glad I was home today to witness such a monumental moment for him! He was so excited! I wish I would have caught him on video.

Tanner we are so proud of you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures and the editorials. Enjoy every moment they are too precious to pass up. I am amazed at how well kids do at age 5 now a days. I have some very cute and smart grandkids. We love you all. Good job Tanner your ictures were good. Clayton what a treat, it is nice to know you can entertain yourself if need be.
Grandma Weeks